Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 26, 2010

Not the update I wanted to post today but......

So I have tons of wonderful updates from the past few weeks-We've had 3 baby showers including a surprise one from my coworkers and our wonderful small group. My best friend, Rebecca, is throwing our last one this weekend and we're so excited! 
But today, we have an update from a random doctor's appointment yesterday....I've been noticing some serious swelling just starting this week.....the following text is what I sent out to coworkers and some friends so it's pretty broken in thoughts but it will explain all the details best....

ok so when they are looking for preeclampsia in pregnancy they look for sudden swelling, extra protein in urine and certain bloodwork to come back with signs of distressed kidney and liver function
they also look for higher BP than normal
my BP has been perfect if not lower everytime I've been.....when I got in yesterday is was like 150/95 or something which is really abnormal for me....plus I had gained almost 5 lbs. in one week-obviously not all baby so i'm retaining too much fluid....thus the pain in my legs/ankles and the huge "tree trunks" i'm carrying around-they were also concerned and checking to see if any blood clots are pooling at my feet
I have something called pitting edema-basically you can press on my skin and it doesn't bounce back b/c i'm retaining too much.
so they did bloodwork which should come back today and they checked Liam-
Liam's heartbeat is perfect as always at 140 so they don't think he's in distress....but they are doing an ultrasound today as well to make sure. they just think I am having issue that would cause him to come just a tad early and we want to keep him cooking as long as we can. If he came right now technically he'd be full term but there is always a risk of lungs not being quite developed,etc. and he having to be in the NICU for a bit-we don't want that!
She also measured me and whereas my date says i'm only 36 weeks this weekend, he's actually measuring way ahead at 37 1/2 to 38 weeks....so definitely a growth spurt somewhere.....
They checked me and I'm already 1 centimeter dilated and 50% effaced-which means my cervix is thinned out-that is the most important number-I can sit at a centimeter dilated up until labor but 50% effaced at this point shows things are definitely progressing. She could feel his head yesterday but said he's still got a ways to drop down
So they had me lay down for 20 min and come back and check my BP and when they did it was normal again....thus the bed rest-obviously being on my feet and being too active right now is causing the issue so she wants me on modified bed rest right now in order to hopefully get him to sit tight for a while So basically off my feet all day and laying down-only up long enough to eat and pee-otherwise pray for poor Adam-he's gonna get the brunt of housework,etc. right now. If she sees signs of preeclampsia in my bloodwork today....then they automatically send me to the hospital and he'd have to come out-thus me being induced-not too happy about it but obviously God's plan is way different then our own right now....
The goal is to get me thru next week on bed rest and see if it helps slow down anything and then we'll reassess the induction again. She said this kind of thing happens all the time but if i had waited any longer, it could develop into something called Eclampsia which causes blackout and seizures b/c of all the symptoms. So he is healthy-mama's body is just tired and done-so we have to help support it-is how she described it.....not genetic or anything-can just come out of nowhere...so scary


So a bit of a change....and sudden but hopefully today we will know more....Please continue to pray for patience as we wait to see what our little man decides to do. For strength and patience for Adam as he leads us in a way he's never has before-he's so brave through all of this and his excitement about meeting Liam is infectious! I'll be at home on bedrest all next week-would love visitors if anyone feels the urge to stop by....just give me a call or email!
Love, 
Adam, Mandy and hopefully sooner than later, Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment