Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

God's opinion....

When Adam's mom, Nancy, found out she was pregnant with him, it was during a crazy time for our country in the late 70's and early 80's. She told me how uneasy she felt about bringing a baby into the world during this time but that one phrase always stood out to her. She found a little wooden plaque that had her favorite phrase engraved on its surface and this plaque has been a part of the family for close to 30 years now. When Adam and I started dating, I remember going to his mom's house for the first time and seeing this little plaque sit in the window of her kitchen. I specifically remember it catching my eye and my heart and I asked her to tell me about it for the first time.
As the years passed in our relationship, that little phrase on the plaque stayed in the kitchen window sill as family events happened, holidays passed and the first grandchild was born. Adam's sister Katie, had little Aiden almost 4 years ago now and Nancy decided to pass the plaque onto Katie. She asked Katie to keep it safe and to promise that it would go to the next sister, Maddie, Izzy, or Sarah, that would have a baby.
Fast forward 4 years.....
Adam's sisters and mother gave Liam his first baby shower at my favorite little french bakery in Charlotte. Surrounded by loved ones, I was completely overwhelmed at the day....it was everything I could have hoped for.....and then Katie brought out one more little bag for me to open. I watched tears well up in her eyes as she handed it to me. There was always a running joke that she wouldn't be able to give it up....and she said to me, I finally got up the courage to pass it on. It's your turn now....you have to take care of this.
I really lost it at that point....I looked over and saw Adam's mom, Nancy, crying too...knowing that I was now a part of this story...that Liam's story would carry this family tradition on and that I was the next "sister" in line just made my heart swell. I always thought it would go to one of the twins first...Adam's biological sisters...but not me, not a girl who met a boy that happened to be in this amazing family. I am blessed beyond belief and this little plaque holds more meaning because of it's tradition then Liam will every comprehend. From his daddy's birth and now onto his.....we're carrying on God's will in our lives......

As we drove back from Raleigh for our 2nd baby shower, we stopped along the way to snap a few pics....Adam and I were so excited to find that a random church in our travels had used this same phrase on their church sign.....we just couldn't resist.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this quote/saying as well, in fact i have it on the wall next to/over jaelyn's crib! it is such a fabulous and such a perfect quote! i had tears in my eyes when i read your post today - how sweet! and i know that was such a sweet moment for you! and i hope that sometime i will be able to meet your sweet sister in law!

    i am praying for you and baby liam! i am anxious to hear about your appointment tomorrow! until then, just rest and try to enjoy it! and keep baking that sweet little baby!!!

    ReplyDelete