Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 12, 2010

My hero....


7 years.....we've been together 7 years this year.....In that time, I have watched a young, fresh faced right out of college boy turn into a man that provides, loves, lives his truth and is the bravest person I know. I've never known someone as selfless as he is, as honest as he is, who gets me to my core and makes me a better person. I've never had someone call out my faults in a positive manner in order to build me up when I can't myself and who lovingly is patient with me even when I know he wants nothing more than to just throw his hands up sometimes. My husband....my best friend, my comedian, my support team, my cheerleader, my brutal honesty, my caring soul, my strong arms and now the father of my child.
This past week, Adam was home from work because his school was out for Spring Break. It was supposed to be his break, his time to relax, his time away for a bit. However, our recent turn of events with little Liam have proved quite the challenge in our house and Adam stepped up in a way that I can never thank him for enough. The plan originally was for me to work up until the baby was born, but some definitely unforseen events have turned the end of my pregnancy into bedrest. The doctor has called it modified bedrest but qualified that as me getting up long enough to eat something and use the bathroom. No housework, no errands, no anything...just laying down....all the time. It's very hard for someone who is used to doing so much and being always on the go to have someone say, "let me help you." I'm so used to giving of myself because I love caring for others and when Adam has been sick, and continues to be sick with his ulcerative colitis or his unending battle with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, I have always been able to say I can do it, you rest, I'll take care of it.
I watched him this week as he selflessly stepped in, stepped up and stepped out of his comfort zone to make this time for me as easy as possible. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, honey do lists, the never ending circle of making a house run. All while dealing with his own pain, gritting his teeth and catering to my every whim even when I tried to fight him on it. I've watched him grow as a leader, the spiritual head of our household and sometimes more recently the emotional rock as I have dealt with the end of this pregnancy and just plain being mean and moody. He works so hard to provide and to care for us and I cannot wait now to be able to watch him with Liam.
Adam is going to be the best father...he will show him right from wrong, how to be strong and step out in faith, how to be brave, when to back down and when to step up, he will encourage him, love him and be his discipline when it's needed. He will teach him how to stand out even in the face of adversity when all of the cards are against him and how to prosper in the end of the experience as a better person. He will show him the world, his love for animals, sports, all things cars, shoes and mountains. Most of all he will show him music....I imagine them dancing in our living room, Liam rockin' out with his daddy to the latest and greatest and still appreciating the finer arts such as plays, musicals, museums and culture. Adam has taught me so much of these things in the short time we've been together and I can't wait to watch him, my hero, become Liam's hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment